I want to share with you a ‘made from scratch’ recipe for Oven Baked Crunchy Chicken Wings that is so simple and so delicious that you will feel like you have achieved something extraordinary with very little effort. Best of all, most of the ingredients can be found in your pantry.
I reckon these oven baked crunchy chicken wings are a winner – they taste great, won’t blow your budget, and are made from basic ingredients so you can feel that sense of achievement of cooking something from scratch without having to do much at all. I love how the fat from the skin renders out and ‘fries’ the powdered ingredients to a crisp without the addition of any extra oils or fats. I certainly wouldn’t call this healthy – but if you compare it to something like KFC – it certainly is healthier.
This recipe is for 2 kilos of chicken wings & drummets. You can also do this with drumsticks as well. I would probably advise against using fillets (especially breast) because this process will make them very dry. I have provided a basic recipe as well as some additional ingredients to spruce it up a little. Feel free to experiment with anything you have on hand. Everytime I go grocery shopping, I take a few extra fresh produce bags from the spools to use for this recipe. They are the perfect size and strength for how you will be using them.
2 kilos of chicken wings / drummets / drumsticks (in total)
3 heaped tablespoons of all purpose flour
3 heaped tablespoons of starch powder (any will do that you have on hand ((non-wheaten)- corn flour, potato startch, tapioca etc)
1 teaspoon of granulated salt
1 teaspoon of ground pepper (black or white – anything you have on hand)
– These are some of the ingredients that I add to the basic recipe above for additional flavour. I add everything below in one lot but you can add or subtract any that you wish. –
2 tablespoons of onion powder
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon of hot chilli powder
sprinkle of sweet paprika
– Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius / 400 farenheit / Gas Mark 6
– Empty all the dry ingredients (except the sprinkle of sweet paprika) into a
stolen fresh produce market / supermarket bag. Allow some air into the bag and twist the top tightly shut.
– Shake the bag to mix all the ingredients evenly.
– Open the bag and tip all the chicken piece in.
– Again, let some air into the bag and twist the top tightly shut so it resembles a balloon.
– Shake it up. I usually just lightly drop the bag on the table whilst twisting it tighter so that it dislodged any chicken pieces that are stuck together to get a more even coating.
– Line a flat baking tray with baking paper and spread the chicken out, skin side up.
**I don’t use foil because it tends to stick to the chicken**
– Sprinkle the paprika garnish on each piece for a lovely red hue.
– Put it in the oven.
– I cook these for about 50 minutes in the hot oven and turn them 20 minutes into cooking, and again after another 20 minutes for an even crisp.
Take out and enjoy!!